Keiichi Anime Forever Forum - anime news, chat, discussion, and more for anime otakus

Join the KAF Discord server. Relive those memories you pushed deep down.
Announcement
If you have not already read, read Everything You Need to Know to Roleplay at KAF. Additionally, ALL roleplays are governed by the Roleplay Rules. Those two documents are REQUIRED reading and you may get BANNED from ALL roleplays if you do not read them and follow the rules defined.

If you are seasoned at roleplaying, check out The KAF Roleplayers Guild if you already haven't.

[Reply] [New Topic] [New Poll]

> Problems & Suggestions for the RP Forum
ebacusta
Posted: 2005-12-27, 11:30 AM

[ -ice cold- ]

Group: Local Resident

RisaOffline

This topic is for exactly what the title specifies: identify problems in the RP Forum and propose suggestions on how to fix them.

I'll start. RP Inactivity--a way on how to potentially fix this problem has already been proposed, but several of the RPers don't like it. Ideas?

I'm really interested to hear your ideas, so begin.

-------------------
user posted image
Thanks for the gift, IBG~! Love ya lots! <333

^Click Me^
[PM]
[QUOTE]
Shugo-kun
Posted: 2006-01-16, 01:59 PM

Viva La Revolución!

DarkOffline

QUOTE (ebacusta)
I'll start. RP Inactivity--a way on how to potentially fix this problem has already been proposed, but several of the RPers don't like it. Ideas?

The likelihood that you'll enforce this new policy as often as possible and actually keep tabs on it? Practically zero~! sweeeet.gif

Okay, so obviously, a forum works like so: No one posts in a thread, the thread dies.

Capiche? sweeeet.gif

The policy won't act as an impediment to inactivity. In fact, I don't really think there is a real way to do so on a web forum. It was a nice ideal, though.

-------------------
user posted image
[PM]
[QUOTE]
Oriana
Posted: 2006-01-17, 10:50 AM

Eleventh Division Vice-Captain

DarkOffline

The topic has already been discussed. We as moderators have been working out the new kinks in the policy and will be putting it into full force soon.

-------------------
user posted image
Click Me!
[PM]
[QUOTE]
Jo'ogn
Posted: 2006-01-21, 04:30 AM

SYS 64738

L2+L3 RPs do not need (proper) plots anymore?
[PM]
[QUOTE]
Frostburn
Posted: 2006-01-21, 09:05 AM

BEEEEEEEES!

DarkOffline

QUOTE (Jo'ogn @ Jan 21 2006, 04:30 AM)

Any time I see RP's without proper plots I close them. There are bound to be a few that I miss or people get too deep into before I notice.

-------------------
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."

-- Willy Wonka
[PM]
[QUOTE]
Shugo-kun
Posted: 2006-01-21, 09:37 AM

Viva La Revolución!

DarkOffline

QUOTE (Kusajishi Yachiru @ Jan 17 2006, 02:50 PM)
The topic has already been discussed. We as moderators have been working out the new kinks in the policy and will be putting it into full force soon.

The only one I can see working is threatning a ban if you don't remain active. An iron fist can quite in handy if you want to be infamous about it.

QUOTE (Jo'ogn)

Frostburn (AKA Aizen Sousuke) is doing a fine job with this...but then again, the only one I really see doing anything these days (no offense to the others).

-------------------
user posted image
[PM]
[QUOTE]
ebacusta
Posted: 2006-03-06, 09:01 PM

[ -ice cold- ]

RisaOffline

That's probably because you spend most of your time in the Adult RPs Section, Shugo, which is the section Frostburn is in charge of modding.

-------------------
user posted image

^Click Me^
[PM]
[QUOTE]
Jo'ogn
Posted: 2006-03-10, 06:09 AM

SYS 64738

That kind of explains sth. Could please list down who is in charge for what section?
[PM]
[QUOTE]
ebacusta
Posted: 2006-04-16, 10:40 AM

[ -ice cold- ]

RisaOffline

Anime: ebacusta & Frostburn
Non-Anime: Oriana
Original: ebacusta & Oriana
Adult: Frostburn & Mina-chan

I think. e.e;

-------------------
user posted image

^Click Me^
[PM]
[QUOTE]
emptychairs
Posted: 2007-02-21, 03:34 PM

Expert Otaku

DarkOffline

I would recommend that when an RP is closed, that the moderator closing it gives it one final post that explains the reason for the closing, that way the people taking part in the RP know what mistakes to avoid in the future, and that threads be allowed three pages to finish with exposition before developing plot.

-------------------
Here we talked of revolution, here it was we lit the flame.
Here we sang about tomorrow, but tomorrow never came...
[PM]
[QUOTE]
Warrior Princess
Posted: 2007-02-21, 03:37 PM

Banned

RisaOffline

Note: 'Warrior Princess' was banned from the community for failing to adhere to the community standards.
I agree with Pligante(emptychairs), some of my Rps, closed for no reason or at least no reason I knew.
[PM]
[QUOTE]
Spyder Pyresphere
Posted: 2007-02-21, 03:46 PM

Return of Gotei

DarkOffline

You'd know why there were closed if you actually read the rules on RP's every once and a while.

A lot of the reasoning behind yours is that they were improperly marked as higher RP's than they really were. For example, a 2nd Level roleplay does not allow 3 sentence replies (and we've found a lot of those). Speed posting is also not allowed.

You shouldn't whine when you don't even know what the rules are.

-------------------
user posted image
[PM]
[QUOTE]
emptychairs
Posted: 2007-03-03, 03:22 PM

Expert Otaku

DarkOffline

Then is is possible to make a way that somebody can alter their RP's level? That way, a mod could give the warning, the person could say 'oops, my bad, sorry.' And fix it, no harm no foul.

-------------------
Here we talked of revolution, here it was we lit the flame.
Here we sang about tomorrow, but tomorrow never came...
[PM]
[QUOTE]
Jarin
Posted: 2007-03-03, 03:42 PM

Tea addict

DarkOffline

I think it's the responsibility of the owner of the topic. If you start out a level 2/3 story you should ask the players to stick to the rules you state. It's obvious that a level 2 story (hence, it even says "appropriate postlenght" in the description) shouldn't exist of short replies or simple "hey look! - where? - there!" constructions.

On the other sides, the fact that it actually happens is also to blame on the players who take part in such stories, it seems they aren't aware of the rules either. So the closed topic aside, maybe it's an idea to notify the players who went wrong as well. (while that might be a lot of work)

It may sound stupid, but why not turning the 5 sentence filter on? If you're RPing you should be able to fulfill that requirement at least.

-------------------
user posted image
[PM]
[QUOTE]
ebacusta
Posted: 2007-03-06, 04:01 PM

[ -ice cold- ]

RisaOffline

A lot of topics are being locked and move because they lack plot and/or the people inside the topic are breaking basic forum rules. It's the topic owner's responsibility to make sure that his topic is following the rules and the participants in his RP are following the rules. If he fails to do this before an RP mod gets to it, then it's going to be dealt with accordingly. If you feel an RP has been unfairly locked or you don't know why it's been closed, you're always free to PM an RP moderator and discuss it.

-------------------
user posted image

^Click Me^
[PM]
[QUOTE]
~nysþ!
Posted: 2007-07-15, 11:21 AM

⅔(Raccoon)ˉ³≈Ø

DarkOffline

Okay, I've given this a fair bit of thought. It seems that regardless of what policies are employed RPs which break rules are bound to come up. The problem lies within the fact that KAF cannot control the quality of the persons it admits into it's forums. Nor can it fully control the content of their posts.

I propose that a policy of containment. Allow the RPs to be of poor quality, but move them to a new "Pulp" RP forum, and tack on a message as to why it was moved. It doesn't solve the problem, but it does penalize those who disobey the rules. The "Pulp" subforum would be described as something to the effect of "A place where RPs that break RP forum Rules get shoved." Now, you would want to make it as such that only mods can post threads in the "Pulp" forum, but anyone may post replies. In this way, people cannot place RPs there voluntarily, and it retains a degree of shame.

This may not solve the problem of poor quality RPs but it will at least contain it.

Some people RP poorly regardless of how often, or how nicely, you ask that they try to improve. I've RP'ed with one person who did as such, despite several PMs and OOC postings. I offered suggestions on easy ways to have good spelling, and even gave links as where he could download software to spell check and grammar check his posts. Regardless of how many times I, or other's asked, he continued to break rules with regard to post length, spelling and grammar. There is no simple solution, outside of exclusive RPing, which has its own problems. In hindsight, I should've reported him to a Mod. (It doesn't matter now, the RP is long over, most posters flaked out and then we ran into some other problems and it all went pear shaped.)

I think quality may improve as time goes by, assuming RPers stay vigilant and continue to RP here.

[EDIT] Yeah, I just realized the initial post is a year old... heh.gif

-------------------
user posted image
heaven forbid we be comfortable
[PM]
[QUOTE]
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

[Reply] [New Topic] [New Poll]